Best Longboards For Beginners – Best Beginners Longboards – Longboard for Beginner Reviews, Tips, and Guides
- 1 [TOP 10] Best Longboards For Beginners Reviews
- 1.1 1. Volador 42–inch Freeride Longboard (Top Pick)
- 1.2 2. Atom Drop-Deck Longboard
- 1.3 3. MBS All-Terrain Longboard
- 1.4 4. The Quest Super Cruiser Longboard
- 1.5 5. Retrospec Zed Bamboo Longboard
- 1.6 6. Sector 9 Aperture Longboard
- 1.7 7. Minority Downhill Maple Longboard
- 1.8 8. Rimable Drop-through Longboard
- 1.9 9. Playshion 39-inch Freestyle Longboard Review
- 1.10 10. White Wave Bamboo Longboards
- 2 Buying Guide For Consumers
- 3 Some benefits of longboarding
- 4 Frequently asked questions
- 5 Conclusion
If you are searching for one of the best longboards for beginners, but you are so confused because of the vast variety of the products offered to you, we will help you to find out a list of the 10 Best Longboards for Beginners, in which we will compare prices and characteristics among these longboards. All these longboards have good speed. You will be totally satisfied with the stability and comfortable foot placing of these products.
Do you know the difference between a skateboard and a longboard? The answer is that they are fairly similar, but the longboard is a bit longer. Longboards are a good option for you to travel from one location to another with great joy and fun. This kind of board is not only convenient but also active and sporty.
If you want to buy a new longboard, make sure to watch out for necessary information before footing the bill. The reason is that nowadays, the market is infested with poor quality products and this may be greatly confusing to pick out one of the best longboards for beginners, especially for green hands.
Comprehending your difficulties in searching for one of the best longboards for beginners, we have trawled through more than 100 longboards on the market to find out the top 10 beginner-friendly longboards with all the details that are very helpful.
There are some questions needed to be answered to help you pick out one of the best longboards for beginners:
- Is it suitable for beginners?
- Is it durable? Comfortable?
- What about speed and control?
- Is the manufacturer credible?
- Is it cost-effective?
[TOP 10] Best Longboards For Beginners Reviews
- Deck: Maple laminate with photo heat transfer graphic
- Trucks: 40 degree base - 180mm hangers, aluminium die casting trucks
VOLADOR 42-inch Freeride Longboard is a freeriding board, which is constantly rated as the best longboards for beginners. It is completely possible to ride this board without demanding for mastering any freeriding or sliding tricks.
If you want to practice some basic tricks or just need to move between two places, Volador 42inch Freeride Longboard is a perfect option. This board will make your riding-learning experience one of the best moments ever.
This longboard has a maximum load capacity of up to 250 lbs thanks to an 8-ply hardrock maple wood shock-absorbent deck. This kind of deck has been proven to be stable and durable.
The manufacturer also provides 10 beautiful deck design options to consumers. These cool and vibrant design options allow you to pick out one longboard that fits you perfectly.
This longboard has a standard wheel size – 70mm, which is neither small nor large. These wheels also offer a 78A durometer to help you get both grip and pace. With the benefits of these wheels, you will have a super smooth ride over large cracks and rocks.
Because the longboard is already fully assembled, you can start riding immediately after unboxing. Nevertheless, it is recommended to check whether the trucks need to be tightened for your safety.
One outstanding feature of the VOLADOR 42-inch Freeride Longboard is that the truck’s baseplate angle is adjustable between 45 or 50 degrees. 45-degree baseplate angle gives better stability and a 50-degree baseplate angle offers better turning support. If you are a newbie and want to have both stability and turning support, you could try to make a 50-degree for the front truck and 45-degree for the back truck.
Because the price is reasonable and the quality is high, this board is suitable for beginners to learn basic tricks as well as transport between two places. Undoubtedly, VOLADOR 42-inch Freeride Longboard is one of the best longboards for beginners.
- Excellent turning accuracy and responsiveness.
- Adjustable baseplate angle of the truck (45 or 50 degrees).
- Durable shock absorbent deck.
- Good wheel clearance and shock absorbance provided by the combination of drop-through mounting and cut-out deck.
- Pretty lightweight compared to its size.
- 10 different designs offered to consumers.
- The trucks may need to be tightened before riding for the first time.
- White wheels are easily dirty.
- Full maple laminate deck
- Reverse King Pin (RKP) longboard trucks (245mm axles)
Atom is an established brand that is celebrated for its high-quality longboard manufacturer. This brand has been dominating the longboard industry for a very long time.
With many years of longboard manufacturing experience, Atom’s specialists have a clear and comprehensive view of how to make a durable and high-quality longboard for green hands.
The modest outlook of this 41” drop deck board is neither too fancy nor too dull. This design will turn your head at the first glance.
Although 220 lbs is the official weight limit to guarantee safety, this longboard is totally OK for heavier riders (about 300 lbs) because of the really stable and strong deck.
Deserving a place on our list of 10 best longboards for beginners, this product will definitely meet your requirements of stability, smooth turning, gripping, etc.
Although there is some dissatisfaction with average trucks, wheels, and bushings, other benefits of this longboard will offset these disadvantages and make it one of the best longboards for beginners.
If you wish to get a VOLADOR Freeride but you cannot afford, this Atom Drop-Deck Longboard is a nice alternative because of its reasonable price and high quality.
- This longboard fits every rider in spite of their height or age.
- Grippy wheels.
- Its flexibility to maneuver and turn is enhanced by the reverse kingpin trucks with the 50-degree baseplate.
- Extremely durable
- Not suitable to practice advanced skills.
- Average trucks, wheels, and bushings.
- 100mm x 65mm all-terrain longboard wheels are cast with 78A super-high-rebound urethane for a perfect balance between speed and traction
- 190mm Navigator Drones trucks guarantee precision turning
MBS is a well-known brand for its manufacturing of the best all-terrain longboards on the market. And this MBS All-Terrain Longboard is not an exception. This board will satisfy all sorts of riders of all ages.
When riding this longboard, you will experience the stability and the maneuverability of the product. You will be amazed by its grip, control, and safety, not to mention its comfort of the foot placement when moving from one place to another.
To deserve its name of the “All-Terrain” longboard, the wheels have been specially designed to fit all kinds of roads. This makes the all-terrain wheels one of the most striking features of this longboard. You will be worry-free because these wheels can literally handle all sorts of terrains from asphalt to woodchips, or even bumps.
The wheels are fairly sizable (100mm). The massive wheels coupled with a large contact patch, and sharp lip provide you with adequate control and grip even at high speed. All of these are just to ensure the safety of a fun ride for beginner longboarders.
To perfectly balance between speed and traction, the wheel durometer is standardly 78A. The recommended weight limit is 220 lbs, but riders with more weight can also have a nice ride without any mishaps.
With all these benefits, this MBS All-Terrain Longboard is increasingly favoured. It is kind of a precious pearl among an ocean of low-quality products. The success of this all-terrain longboard is attributed to its both qualify, and usability, not to mention its moderate price.
If you are a newbie longboarder and want to ride on off-road, you must give this one in our list of best longboards for beginners a try.
- Extra grip is provided by the all-terrain wheels.
- Wheel clearance is outstanding.
- It is very easy to turn with this board.
- Centre of gravity is excellent.
- It is completely assembled when buying.
- You need to check the deck because it is occasionally not well assembled.
- It is a little heavier than usual.
- SIZE MATTERS our 44" Longboard is the perfect size constructed in a Multi-ply Hardwood Maple and beautiful artisan bamboo deck shaped to perform and the extra detail rarely found at this price.
- THE ORIGINAL BAMBOO LONGBOARD - Designed on the boardwalks in California to higher specifications from Malibu to San Diego, we are the leaders in longboard and skateboard.
The Quest® 44″ Super Cruiser Longboard is one of the best longboards for beginners that is loved by thousands of people from country to country. The design is composed of a bamboo (hardwood) maple deck decorated with artisan abstract graphics. The sizes of the product are 43x9x44 inches. Undoubtedly, these beautiful longboards from California will not make you disappointed.
When riding this longboard, you will get the comfort that the multi-ply deck offers. Besides, detailed graphics drawn on the deck make your longboard more attractive and fancier. What a stylish ride!
This longboard is equipped with ABEC 7 speed bearings, 7 Ply Bamboo and Hardwood Maple Deck, and 7-inch aluminum trucks to give you a marvelous riding experience at an affordable price.
Wheel bites are considered quite dangerous during sharp turns. Understanding this, the manufacturer uses aluminum trucks and durable 70mm PU wheels to prevent this phenomenon. Moreover, this will give you a very smooth move.
The Quest Super Cruiser Longboard is rated as one of the best longboards for beginners by experienced riders. This product is very suitable for children to learn basic skills. It is also one of the best longboards for beginners for carving. The place in the list of the 10 best longboards for beginners is thanks to its high quality and affordable price.
- The design is shaped in the best way with a multi-ply board.
- An excellent grip is offered to users
- Durable, stable, and long-lasting
- A kicktail is included.
- This is quite inconvenient for young longboarders to ride due to the board’s length.
- The quality of the bearings is not too good.
Retrospec Zed Bamboo Longboard with dimensions of 44.1×9.4×5.1 inches is an ideal solution for any person seeking the best longboards for beginners. Crafted from natural materials and designed in Los Angeles, the Ten Toes Board will meet all your requirements. It also has an outstanding vintage Californian look thanks to the material of bamboo.
The Maple wood in an 8-ply construction is combined with a bamboo deck and a kicktail to make the longboard solid and durable. Because the product is made of natural materials, every board has its own bamboo grain, which makes every board unique in its own way.
The Retrospec Zed Bamboo Longboard owes its amazing and striking look to the large kicktail equipped with top-notch hardware. The ZED Bamboo Longboard is suitable to ride in municipal areas due to its easy control and maneuverability.
7-inch aluminum trucks make the board not only lightweight but also sturdy. To reduce vibrations, riser pads are added to offer you a more stable and smoother ride like surfing.
Reactive and smooth gliding reverse kingpin trucks are included. The ABEC-7 bearing works perfectly. 70x51mm 85a PU wheels with rock finish are also included, which makes the whole unit durable and long-lasting.
With these benefits, Retrospec Zed Bamboo Longboard deserves one place in our list of the top 10 best longboards for beginners.
- This product is used as a skateboard and a longboard due to its dual design.
- The wheels are heavy-duty and shock-absorbent.
- The deck made of bamboo and maple is very durable and spacious.
- It is very stable and smooth to make a perfect downhill cruiser.
- Easy control and maneuverability are offered to longboarders.
- Wheel wells are included to avoid wheel bites.
- Shock absorbent smooth Polyurethane 70mm wheels with rock finish will offer riders a strong grip.
- Kingpin trucks are reversible.
- The whole unit is fully assembled.
- The aluminum bearings are not too durable.
- Because of its immense flexibility, it may be a little bit wobbly to some skaters.
- Specs: 36.0" L x 9.0" W x 26.375" WB
- Sector 9 Aperture Drop Through Deck
Sector 9 Aperture Longboard will be a smart choice if you want to have a nice experience with your longboard. The dimensions of the product are 36.0”x9.0”x26.375”. The suitable length offers you a comfortable and relaxed ride. Besides, at a great speed, for example, when you are going downhill, the stability of the longboard will make you surprised.
Compared to other longboards, which is quite difficult turning the corner when you are at high speed, Sector 9 Aperture Longboard will let you perform it impeccably with ease. This is because you are totally free while standing on the board.
The Fractal Longboard is accompanied by Gullwing Sidewinder trucks, Sector 9 ABEC 5 bearings, and 69mm 80A 9-balls Wheels.
Do you want to have some striking moments of turns and slides on your longboard uploaded on Facebook or Instagram? The double-kingpin on the Fractal will help you with this.
It is worthy to note that this longboard is recommended for kids aged 13 and over.
Sector 9 Aperture Longboard is one of the best longboards for beginners to learn some basic tricks thanks to its high quality and affordable price.
- Compact design and beautiful graphics are one of the most outstanding features of Sector 9 Aperture Longboard.
- If you want to carve smoothly at high speed, a flat aerodynamic structure is included to help you do this.
- It is totally suitable for professional and experienced riders to keep their skills sharp because of the product’s speed.
- Long rides are now possible due to additional pumping.
- Sidewinder trucks are included to allow you to turn fast, especially at corners.
- The sidewinder trucks are coupled with a double-edged sword, which is very dangerous and risky if a bomb incident happens.
- The wheels are not large enough to withstand high pressure.
Minority Downhill Maple Longboard deserves a place in our list of the 10 best longboards for beginners with its latest revolutionary design. The Minority 40-Inch downhill longboard’s weight is 7.5 pounds, and its dimensions are 40x10x4 inches. This longboard is considered the ultimate work of longboard engineering.
The low gravity construction of the product is designed to be perfect for downhill dropping. One of the most attractive points of Minority Downhill Maple Longboard is its head-turning look. Because talents across the Atlantic are gathered to design, the graphics on the longboard may vary from vintage to avant-garde looks.
You may be amazed to know about the process of making this longboard. The deck is made of 100% of Maple wood and this super-strong 8-ply hard rock maple is first cold-pressed for endurance and strength. It is strong enough to withstand 220 lbs riders. A 37-inch wheelbase and a spacious 10-inch width deck allow you to go downhill stably and smoothly.
Moreover, the unique symmetry of the design is to circumvent the wheel bite from any angle. The 7-inch aluminum reverse kingpin trucks, which are cast with aluminum, are coupled with a carbon steel axle. These trucks can be adjusted between 45 and 50 degrees, which offers you maneuverability, maximum control, and various riding styles.
This is one of the best longboards for beginners, which is comprised of round edge 70×51 mm 78A high rebound PU wheels and ABEC-9 precision bearings. They allow you to carve and ride smoothly on the road. You can obtain high speed with just three power paddles, thus saving time and money. With all of these advantages, the Minority 40-Inch downhill longboard is worth one of the 10 best longboards for beginners.
- The longboard is made of environmentally friendly materials.
- High speed is easily obtained with ABEC-9 precision bearings.
- The soft wheels are tough enough to deal with any kind of road.
- The deck is totally made of Maple wood, which makes the deck super sturdy.
- Some skaters may not like the wide deck.
- The trucks need to be checked and adjusted.
- 41X9.5 Inch Size With Freerider Shape longboard!
- Cold Press 9 PLY FULL MAPLE LAMINATED DECK for the long board
Thanks to Rimable Drop-through Longboard – one of the best longboards for beginners, it has never been easier for newbies to attain basic skills. The size of the deck is 41×9.5. The deck is layered with 9 plies of Maple wood to enhance the sturdiness. The truck is made of 7-inch aluminum. These features altogether make this longboard the best for beginners.
The wheels are of 70x51MM PU with 85A Hardness. These are all high-quality materials. The manufacturer has been trying to ensure a long-lasting board to consumers. Moreover, excellent bearing also allows riders to get high-speed with ease.
On the other hand, this Rimable Drop-through Longboard is one of the best longboards for beginners to make a standard drop through but with a tighter turning radius. Undoubtedly, this board will not make you disappointed whether you are riding through people or cones.
The deck height is low for easy pushing. A 9.5” wide deck allows you to take a powerful turn. 70mm PU wheels provide you with a perfectly smooth ride. With all these advantages, this longboard is unsurpassed and deserves one place in our list of the best longboards for beginners.
When you are going downhill at high speed, the incredible stability of this longboard will not let you down. Besides, it is so easy to push that you can ride for a long distance without any issues. Occasionally, kicking around the town or campus is also a nice experience as well.
Rimable Drop-through Longboard is a favorite product that many people have owned. They are all satisfied with this board in our list of the 10 best longboards for beginners.
- Because of its maneuverability, this Rimable Drop-through Longboard is usually used for cruising.
- The product is very stable even at high speed.
- Riders are able to have complete control as well as change the speed flexibly.
- It may not be the strongest board in the range.
- Cruising and carving are its strong point, while other kinds of the ride are not.
- It tends to be draftier due to its structure and design.
- The stability is not guaranteed on various platforms.
- It is quite difficult to keep the proper grip on the field.
- 39" x 9.1“ drop through longboard for beginner
- Strong but Flexible Eight Ply Maple Deck make longboard can Hold Up to 250 LBS weight
If you are looking for one of the best longboards for beginners, the Playshion 39-inch Freestyle Longboard Review is a good option. The dimensions of the board are 39×9.1×4 inches. A various types of ride are offered to users such as cruising, sliding, curving, downhill, free-ride, and freestyle. This product is rated highly by professional riders.
The longboard deck is a perfect combination of sturdiness and flexibility because it is made of 8-ply flex hardwood maple. The deck is coupled with a flat and has a symmetrical design. Despite a slight concavity in the middle of the deck, this concavity is to fix your feet to the board and to ensure safety when riders are turning or carving.
It is very easy to cope with any amount of sliding with its 7-inch reverse kingpin aluminum trucks. The longboard’s drop-through mounting technology, and 4-inch ground clearance helps easily brake and push with the right foot. With these strong points, Playshion 39-inch Freestyle Longboard Review is one of the best longboards for beginners of all ages from kids to adults. The maximum weight limit is up to 250 lbs.
To make the longboard more durable and long lasting, the manufacturer uses the 70x50mm SHR 78A Polyurethane wheels. Each wheel is 50mm wide, which is sufficient for riders to have maximum control when riding.
An ABEC-7 bearing is oiled and made of “bearing steel” instead of traditional carbon steel to enhance the toughness and sturdiness of the longboard. The Playshion 39-inch Freestyle Longboard Review is hard enough for firm steering and soft enough for a smooth and pleasant ride. You will be worry-free of annoying “squeaky” sound when riding the board because the friction is incredibly reduced by the nylon ball cages when they are rotating.
One of the best parts of this product is its lightweight. The weight is about 7 pounds, fairly light to carry around.
This Playshion 39-inch Freestyle Longboard Review deserves a place in our list of the 10 best longboards for beginners as well as experienced boarders because it is suitable for any longboarding style, especially freestyle.
- Longboarders of all ages including beginners can ride this product.
- The deck is stylish, flat, and symmetrical.
- The deck is a combination of toughness and lightness.
- Strong 7-inch reverse kingpin is included.
- It is easy to control and maneuver.
- The whole unit is totally assembled
- It is not sufficiently safe, especially for new learners.
- The wheels are sometimes squeaky and temperamental.
Measuring 39.5×5.2×10.9 inches, the White Wave Bamboo Longboard is our last product in the list of the 10 best longboards for beginners. The weight is 3.5 pounds, which is usually considered heavy but necessary to maintain the stability of the board for riders. The extensive base and good length enable riders to easily cruise and sway at high speed without any difficulties.
The deck is made of high-density plastic, which makes the longboard more durable and long lasting. 180 mm (7 inches) aluminum trucks are included for ultra-high rebound bushings.
To help you drift smoothly, the manufacturer uses the 70×50 mm high rebound urethane wheels. The bearings, which have built-in spacers, are not only fast but also durable.
Although big in size, there is no problem to carry the board in the back of your backpack because it is very light.
With all impressive features, it is not exaggerated to say that the White Wave Bamboo Longboard is one of the best longboards for beginners.
- It is suitable for riding on downhill roads.
- The stability of the board is increased by its weight.
- The deck is made of Canadian maple wood.
- The materials are of high quality.
- It is easy to carry around.
- It should have had a ceramic bearing as opposed to a hellion one.
- Riders may be annoyed by the loud and squeaky noise of the trucks.
Buying Guide For Consumers
To pick out one of best longboards for beginners, you should have a careful search for products on the market. At first, it is quite difficult for you to find the right one because there are dozens of boards out there.
Here are 5 tips for you to choose one of the best longboards for beginners, who are new to longboarding:
1. You can custom build or buy.
To get a new longboard, you can either custom build or buy one. Anyway, it is better for a newbie to buy a readymade longboard. This is the easiest way to own one of the best longboards for beginners.
2. You should look at the construction type.
You should choose natural materials such as Maple wood or bamboo. While the Maple wood provides you with sturdiness and durability, the bamboo inclines towards flexibility and maneuverability. If the price is not a big deal to you, you may have more expensive options, the deck of which is made of a lightweight material such as carbon fiber.
3. You should base on longboarding style
A cruiser is suitable for the everyday long-distance ride because it is able to distribute your weight evenly on the deck. On the other hand, a downhill skateboard is more preferred if you want to get more speed. This kind of longboard is not recommended for beginners though.
4. You should pay attention to the longboard trucks
The size of the longboard trucks is very crucial. Usually, the width of the hangar is similar to the width of the board, so pay attention to this. The baseplate is also important. Although a 50-degree baseplate is standard, it may be adjustable. A low baseplate angle will make the truck turn less and a high baseplate angle will make the truck turn more.
5. The longboard bearings are also important
Finally, you should look at the wheels and bearings. The wheels may range from a very soft type to an extremely hard one. You should choose a suitable type to have a smooth ride and prevent wheel bites.
In terms of bearing, the bearings are commonly the same size and do not have any specific information about, for example, handling capabilities. An ABEC rating usually measures most bearing, but some companies do not use these ratings. Just so you know, if bearings are rated higher than by the ABEC, this means they are more accurate and precise.
Some benefits of longboarding
Longboarding has many benefits for your health. Regularly riding a longboard will keep you fit and healthy. Moreover, the longboarding experience is also fun and rewarding.
Since it is a cardio sport, your heart will be strengthened and your lung capacity will be increased if you do it regularly. All you need to do is just push yourself around on a longboard across flat terrain or go up a steep hill. You will realize that your levels of stamina are increased gradually.
To do board tricks, jumps, or any stunts, skaters must put a lot of effort to achieve them. It means that there are underlying benefits that you will notice after a long time doing this kind of sport.
You will also gain muscle through squats stands and jumps because these moves require an entire range of motion. As a result, the flexibility of muscles will be gained incredibly. Just so you know, flexibility is just as important as cardiovascular conditioning and muscle strength training.
Overall, through intense exercise and moderate exertion of riding on a longboard, you will boost your strength, stamina, and cardiovascular health over time.
Frequently asked questions
1. How to distinguish skateboards and longboards?
The easiest feature to differentiate these two kinds of boards is to rely on their sizes and weight. Skateboards are usually shorter and lighter. This makes skateboards easier to perform tricks. Skateboards come with harder wheels, which allows you to move faster on concrete, and tighter trucks for more stability.
Longboards are typically longer than skateboards. The wheels of longboards are softer and the trucks are looser. Instead of stability, longboards provide you with more comfort when you ride and more flexibility when you turn.
2. A regular skateboard or a longboard is better for a beginner?
It depends on your style. A longboard is more suitable if you want to cruise or carve around on the streets while a skateboard is better if you want to learn and perform different tricks in a skate park. That is the reason why you should ask yourself first before choosing the best board if you are a beginner.
3. How to choose the best size of the longboard?
This also depends on your style of riding. If you want to ride fast with sharper turns, a shorter board would be your favorite one. On the other hand, if you want to do better carving at high speeds, a longer board is better.
Commonly, boards in the 28” to 32” range will fit younger and shorter riders. The size of longboards, however, usually ranges from 32” to 42” among new riders. Because of this, the 10 best longboards for beginners in our list are also the most recommended ones.
From all factors mentioned above, it is easy to conclude that longboards are not only a means to travel around but also a fun sport to play. This kind of sport will help you gain both your physical and mental health. Your health will remain in the funniest and most interesting way. It is obvious that both children and adults will enjoy this activity.
Besides, you can also surprise your friends with a lot of tricks and skills.
With our list of the 10 best longboards for beginners, hopefully, you will have a comprehensive view of these products on the market to pick out one best for yourself.
View more on YOUTUBE Video